Rindoon, “Camelot on the Shannon” was built in 1227 by King Henry III of England and was populated by up to 1000 people in it’s heyday.
However, during the Gaelic resurgence of the late 13th and early 14th centuries the town was destroyed, ruined and forgotten.
With its town wall, castle, medieval hospital, church and mill, there is nothing that compares to it in either Ireland or the UK and it is one of the most important medieval town sites.
St. John’s Parish Heritage Group have facilitated the conservation of the medieval town walls, the parish church, the windmill, beebole, hospital, gatehouse and three towers. In addition, a looped walk has been constructed which has opened up this tranquil farmland peninsula to the interested visitor.